Thread: Hit a plateau
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 03:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Hit a plateau

Hi,

I seem to have hit a plateau with my ecodriving at the mo.

The story so far is that I have managed to stretch a tank which used to last me 400 miles (I would fill up at a panic by 420) now lasts over 600 miles. Not quite the Kilo-Kilometre tank but getting closer. My tank is officially 45 litres but I can vent it to about 10 litres more - this is a kind of mini TDI. I need to update my fuel log but haven't, but last 3 tanks are:

MPG (imperial).

But I have hit a limit of about 55 Imp. Even resisting the urge to muller Honda Accords (in the dry, this morning I lost but it was wet ) I can't seem to get my average over that. I seem to have tuned my SG2 to match so that a tank average matches the real world quite closely - last real tank was 54.3 and SG said 55.8.

I have no mods as yet, no lightening (spouse restrictions). No aero (no time to fit it).

Techniques are EO(n)C where I can, in gear downhill, out of gear when I can coast for longer that way. I avoid EO(ff)C mostly because I have a Turbo, although I do use it in heavy jams when I haven't used the turbo for a while.

Tyres are sporty (205/55 17s) and I'm not going to go slimmer as even with those traction is an issue - my rears (Yokohamas) have no grip in the wet, the fronts (Rainsports) are OK. I do pump them to 45 just now, thinking of going 50 as the jump from 38-45 made a difference to coasting I could feel straight away.

I haven't investigated aero yet as the roads here are worse than Beirut and we have loads of speed humps which could remove any undertrays and certainly mitigate against any lowering.

Car is 6sp manual 1.9 (ASZ) TDI 130 Fabia (aka VW Polo).

Suggestions welcome.

Cheers

A