View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 08:26 AM   #24 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Lets put 800 pounds of passengers on top of the 660 in battery. That's 1460 pounds of payload that has nothing to do with the vehicle, drive system, structural integrity or collision absorption ability. I doubt very seriously if the vehicle was ever designed to handle that much additional mass in braking, handling, or any other driving dynamics.

55 MPH steady speed. We all know that is about the ideal speed for high mileage. At that speed my old Insight would average 70 MPG, manuals would do much better.

I am not anti electric vehicle by any stretch of the imagination, but a statement like the ICE is dead was made many decades ago, and we are still using ICEs for the vast majority of transportation modes on the planet today, and projections are that will be the case for decades to come.

It's sad that advocates of high efficiency transportation do not support every method of accomplishing that goal, by whatever means accomplishes the end result, as long as it is clean.

The record for MPG today in a ICE vehicle is over 12,000 MPG. I don't use that knowledge to make statements like the battery powered car is dead. Two advocates of different means to the end result sitting on opposite sides of the fence and tossing grenades at each other will never improve the progress of maximising efficiency.

As far as life expectancy of batteries and any claim that they would loose nothing in capacity in a decade, can you show me a single example of that being the case with any battery technology that has ever existed. Maybe the NASA flywheel battery?

regards
Mech