Thread: Eaarth
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #51 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
IN 1983 I lived in the Florida Keys. That winter the temperatures dropped to record low levels. On one day the low temperature in Key West was higher than the high temperature in Anchorage Alaska. The cold spell lasted long enough to reduce the ocean temperature very close to 60 degrees in the Florida Keys.

The concern was that level of temperature would kill the Coral Reefs, which had existed for millions of years.

27 years ago.

I have lived close to the ocean for most of my life. The mouth of Back River used to be a fairly tight restriction to the water that flowed into the larger bay beyond the restriction. I would take my jon boat and surfboard to the channel just northwest of the peninsula called Factory Point, where a tidal bore created waves that you could surf for 15-20 minutes until the tide reversal had completed.

Today that peninsula is gone. Now there is a very small island with close to .5 mile of the peninsula washed away by a series of northeasters some time ago.

In the time period of English settlement of the Tidewater Virginia area, of 403 years, the water level in the Chesapeake Bay has risen 15 feet due to a hurricane. That storm occurred in 1759, long before any significant global warming that was induced by human beings. My grandmother used to tell me a storm created Willoughby Spit and a storm will take it away. It almost happened in the 1933 storm when almost every structure on the spit was washed away by a surge that was 9.3 feet, much less than the 15 feet of the 1759 storm.

These are my personal experiences. From cooling destroying the reefs and the calamity predicted, to storms and rising ocean levels actually changing the shape of the coastline.

In modern history much of the time we were emerging from the "little ice age". Then we had two volcanic explosions Tambora in the early 19th century and Krakatoa in the latter part of the same century. Both occurred at the end of the little ice age and greatly reduced global temperatures.

What's the point.

Who do you believe? The "experts" who predicted the death of the coral reefs 27 years ago, or those today who predict the death of the planet due to warming.

I have seen estimates of the effect of polar and glacial ice melts creating a rise in the ocean's sea level of 135 feet a while ago to 2o feet today.

Which do I believe?

Neither.

If their conclusions can be so different, who should I trust, especially based on my OWN indisputable personal observations.

The best solution for me (and only me) is to try to conserve energy in every way I can, and to try to change the way we as a planetary society utilize energy to it's best effect per unit consumed.

I have seen little evidence of any real interest in my ideas or observations, which seems sad when you consider that a significant amount of time and intellect has been dedicated to that effort.

regards
Mech

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
cfguy2000 (12-05-2010), Weather Spotter (10-29-2010)