View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Grimm
Computer/EV enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired2 View Post
I am working on a few solutions to this problem... a computer is not always the best option.
My thoughts exactly, computers are
A. Battery powered and inefficient for single display use, in the case of laptops which are most commonly used
B. Require old interfaces that will eventually lose support (one of the only Windows 7 bluescreens I've seen came from a usb/serial dongle)
C. Big and hot (not ideal for dashboard/glove compartment use)
D. Prone to crashing

Granted, a carputer can do a lot more if it's more closely interfaced with car audio, gps, etc. but for the purposes of controller interface it seems like a massive waste. A simple microprocessor with a little extra hardware can even take over the same functions of audio/video, maybe even with audio alerts like "Low battery!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired2 View Post
For the OpenRevolt, I would suggest you develop an additional piece of hardware that sits on the CAN interface and spends its time drawing pretty pictures for a dash mounted LCD, either composite or VGA. Think of it like RTD Explorer implemented in about $15 of hardware, in a modular add-on system. It would talk with the BMS, Controller, etc. I'll make it if I get the time and there is interest. Add an SD Card and you get bitmap graphical splash screens!

Touch screen support and/or hard buttons are easy to work out also for a menu driven "information center"
I'd really like to see a modular system like that, attached to the CAN bus would be even more useful as Paul comes out with new toys.

If you're looking for a cheap way to get an SD card, display, and touchscreen, a decent digital picture frame might work. I think the display would be easy to hack together and use, but the touchscreen might be harder.