Thread: Grillblock
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 06:03 PM   #23 (permalink)
Angelus359
EcoModding Apprentice

Aveo - '08 Chevolet Aveo LS
In response to euromodder commenting on my picture.

The side "grills" are by default blocked.
I was going to block under the chin, where the grills are blocked from the factory.
I was going to keep most of the center under the radiator open, as my radiator actually extends slightly BELOW the front bumper.

Doing it this way will let air in through the center, and then through the radiator... if the radiator slows it down too much, it then has the option of going down underneath the radiator in the center. The purpose of the front center being open underneath is to prevent parachuting with the radiator.

The reason why the sides will be undercovered will be because they don't allow much airflow up in the first place. The "grills" there are just decorative.

The plan was to block off only the upper grill, and between the radiator and the under the front bumper near the decorative grills. The bottom center 23x5 inch grill will be untouched in effect.

I'm actually considering either using polycarbonate or coroplast for most of the underside of my car... in segments. Was going to keep center under the radiator open front and back sides though to prevent parachuting, and to allow adequate cooling.

I figure if I do this, I'll end up using less energy, which means less heat.

Home depot has 24x36 inch sheets of coroplast in my area for 7 bucks