View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 09:54 PM   #28 (permalink)
roflwaffle
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
In order to test whether variable displacement will or will not work on my engine, I will move ahead on my own. I will fabricate spacers out of 16 ga Home Depot sheet steel that will simulate the closure of the intake ports of cylinders 1, 4, 6, and 7. I will then install said spacers onto the engine of my truck, with gaskets. I will then electrically disconnect the fuel injectors for cylinders 1, 4, 6, and 7. I will then perform an A-B-A test with this setup. I will then figure out what fuel economy gain I received, if any, and will report back here.

I do appreciate the advice and suggestions you all have given, though. Thank you. However, I do ask that from now on, that any advice or suggestions given in this thread directly relates to supporting this project.
Try it w/o the spacers first. I have a feeling putting spacers to close off the intake port will simulate the highest pumping losses you could see for those cylinders (throttle is not open). Just disconnect the FIs for whatever cylinders and see if there is any improvement. Make sure you can keep test conditions as consistent as possible. For instance if your Dakota stays in third w/ the TCC unlocked after the FIs are disconnected during a highway run, when you're doing the run w/ the FIs connected do it in third w/ the TCC unlocked.