View Single Post
Old 10-30-2010, 01:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
mora
EcoModding Apprentice

Golfwagen - '89 Volkswagen Golf mk2
90 day: 107.14 mpg (US)
Heheh. Thanks for the video link. I've read the whole conversion story and watched every video through. That's where I got the idea of ceramic heater in place of original heater core. If you take a look at the text under the video, at the very bottom he says one element delivers only "warm" air during cold mornings. He recommends the same thing as I think: a 120V (or 110V, hehe) element or two elements paraller. I think he means two 220V elements in paraller, but I'm going to use two 110V elements in paraller.

I also think that element doesn't work at its full power if lower voltage is applied. If so, element works like described (resistance increases as temperature increases and this limits current). If so, resistance of 1500W 220V element can be calculated. Same resistance with 96V voltage results in ~400W power. Boo.

Could someone of you living in the US get me pair of really cheap ceramic heaters, disassemble them and then send ceramic elements to me? Way cheaper than shipping two full heaters, which are going to get taken apart anyway.

Last edited by mora; 10-30-2010 at 01:49 PM..