Thread: Eaarth
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2010, 02:44 PM   #74 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Note the Y-axis here. And also note the scale - thats a change of 310 ppm to 390 ppm. ppm = Parts per MILLION.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
The permafrost... is melting.
Yes, the 'perma' part means it stays frozen in summer. The permafrost in Greenland has melted before. How do we know ? Well the Viking settlers there buried their dead. Its kind of hard to do that, or indeed start farming, when the ground is frozen solid, so it must not have been at the time they were there.

It got a lot colder (the LIA) so they left. Why is it called Greenland ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
One fifth of the entire country of Pakistan got flooded, while Moscow burned. The Philippines got hit by super-monsoon Megi with sustained winds of 178MPH winds with gusts to 195MPG. Vietnam got 30.5 inches of rain in one storm.

This is not normal.
These are not normal, but at the same time none of these events are totally unknown in those parts of the world.

We had flooding in the UK a few years ago and the standard was to blame AGW. The fact we built on natural flood plain obviously has nothing to do with it.

In 1947 in the UK we had one of the coldest winters on record. In 1948 there were several floods and disasters.

As I tapped, these things are unusual but not unknown.