View Single Post
Old 10-30-2010, 05:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Automcdonough
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Remember, your little statement about "not competing with new cars" is exactly the opposite of reality. In fact, you would be directly competing with new cars.
What I would be directly competing with are other shops doing motor work / restoration of cars that can't be bought as they want them. In a lot of respects I could be doing some of this work already w/o any of the electric stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpoppv View Post
...Metro is hands down the winner in terms of reliability and simplicity of design...
If simplicity of design and lightweight feel is what you are looking for, that's what most of us would call performance. I didn't mean to hit a soft spot there, was just saying if these are your priorities then why not start with an Ariel or Lotus. There's plenty of options out there that will get you a more solid body with good suspension geometry and minimum of extra weight. RWD is also a priority to me, part of why I got hooked on old 80's BMW's.
A Camry is made to be comfortable, it's apples and oranges.. and if what you want is to be isolated from the road noise, bumps, vibrations.. then you would prefer that to a Metro or E30. Or if there's other needs like being able to fit adults in the back seat.

What the Metro did the best was have a low cost. Not really a factor for the target market that this business would support, those people would DIY or buy off-shelf offerings.