View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 01:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
saand
Wiki Writer

bugler - '91 Mazda 626
90 day: 35.89 mpg (US)
sawickm thanks for the link to the article, I also mean no offense to you by this reply but i do think the article is completely crazy.
It is very alarmist likely to grab attention for the article however it doesn't offer much substance or back up with many facts.
they mention "rare earth materials" but what exactly is that? you dont go to a factory and order some rare earth metal.
The article mentions china controls 95% of rare earth production however that doesn't mean china owns the land that 95% of rare earth materials can be mined from. So its not the same as the oil crisis. Rare earth materials (i think) are all around the world however it is just hard to purify them. China is good at cheaply making things so if china does choke off supply to the rest of the world other countries will start producing these "rare earth materials" just at higher cost
The article also says up to 5 years to bring a purifying plant online which i cant even slightly believe.

At very worst if all the rare earth materials cant be source for the cars the auto makers will just move back to standard motors which are less efficient but dont use rare earth magnets.
Note: only the very new electric motors may use rare earth magnets.

Here is another source of info on china's monopoly of rare earth materials
World Resources of Rare Earth Metals: China Controls the Market but Greenland Aims to Compete

its just my opinion but i dont think we need to worry just yet about the survival of electric cars.