View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 07:33 AM   #36 (permalink)
3dplane
EcoModding Apprentice

14 Mirage - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 68.74 mpg (US)
From what I gathered there isn't a yes or no answer as to whether the engine connects to the wheels or not!
The main electric motor drives the sun gear (middle gear) of the planetary drive.
The actual connection to the wheels (through more gears) is taken off of the planetary gear's "housing" ( middle set of gears in the drive).
And the ICE has a chance to connect to the ring gear (outside gear with inner teeth of the planetary drive).
The ring gear is held stationary ( ICE off)which allows the power to flow from the main motor -> sun gear-> planetary-> (some reduction gears)-> diff->wheels.
When the RPM gets too high for the main motor to run efficiently,the second motor can help out by turning the ring gear in the same direction as the planetary set! (after ring gear is released from being held)
This allows for lower RPM on the main motor.
When the battery gets low on juice, this second motor has to turn into a generator so it connects to the ICE but as I understand a physical coupling can be achieved between ICE-motor2-ring gear, therefore the ICE helps out by turning the ring gear! Which by it self would not move the car unless the sun gear (driven by main motor)is either held stationary or driven by the main electric motor!
So is the ICE ever connected to the wheels? -Kinda!
That's what I understand but could be wrong!

The Following User Says Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (11-02-2010)