View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

I dumped my DMF and went for a lightened SMF about 18 months ago, this was in prep for a remap (not done) as the standard clutch can't handle it - this is a TDi 130, remap is claimed to be 180 but it probably nearer 160-170. With the high gearing the clutch is the weak link in the TDi after remaps.

The local taxis do this for reliability over higher mileages - the DMF has random failure issues and is expensive.

It made very little difference to FE, although at the time I wasn't monitoring it as closely as I am now. In terms of driving the really noticeable difference is the faster pickup in all gears, not just the lower ones, overtaking is slightly more sprightly than it was before.

Shifting is exactly the same, although I have a heavier clutch pedal because of the higher clutch spring rates.

There may be some other changes relating to coasting in gear etc. but to be honest they aren't significant enough for me to notice them compared to a standard car.

I do have a rattle or chatter at speeds under 1500 which is a pain at idle or when crawling in traffic. It was diagnosed as a gearbox issue but after a rebuild (spendy), and then another rebuild (free) to try and fix it, the rattle remains. So now I turn the radio up and ignore it.

In total the SMF, clutch kit, required bolts, fitting, gearbox rebuild and labour all came to about £2k. But it should be good for a few hundred K miles but I might not keep the car that long.

I know loads of people have DMFs which have been to mars and back, and some which have failed in under 20K. Totally random it seems.