View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 10:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
The Show Off Your Cockpit Thread

This thread is for anyone who wants to show how they've Feng-Shuied their cockpit to ease hypermiling.

When I started ecomodding a while back I kept wondering about how and where to attach all the buttons, switches and LEDs in a way that is both functional and wife-approved. Luckily, the CD changer under my radio was kaputt, so I removed it to (1) use less electricity, (2) keep it out of the reaches of anyone who might want it. (Actually, I don't mind someone taking it, but I don't want to replace my window in the process.) So I used the space under my radio for my ecomodding console, and now that it's more or less done I'd like to show it off so that others may get some inspiration.

I used the carcass of a dead radio to make sure everything would fit nicely.

Starting from the left:
  • A mom-off-mom switch for engine starting and stopping,
  • An on-off switch for the alternator (not used),
  • Two mom-off-mom switches for opening/closing the two active grille blocks,
  • An on-off-on switch for the DRLs (on-off-auto).
There is also a small blue LED to signal when the DRLs are on, and a larger blinking red LED that was supposed to signal when the radiator fan kicked in, but now only signals when the engine kill button is pressed. There is still room for another two switches when the time comes.

The insides (pardon the mess) are wired through connectors which allow the whole box to be easily taken out of the car (and worked on in a warm, dry place). I plan to get the mess cleaned up and add a small diagram of which wire show go where, in case my failing memory gets the better of me.

My ScanGauge rests in on the ashtray, under which is the OBD socket.

I'm thinking about a semi-clear piece of plexi, hinged at the top, to cover the buttons from curious eyes and fingers when I'm not driving.

And here's the start/stop button in action.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cockpit1.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	7265   Click image for larger version

Name:	cockpit2.jpg
Views:	2208
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	7266   Click image for larger version

Name:	cockpit3.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	7267  

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 11-02-2010 at 10:41 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Piwoslaw For This Useful Post:
SVOboy (11-03-2010)