View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
RobertSmalls
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
If your concern is damage to the engine from poor lubrication, then I wouldn't worry about it.

regards
Mech
That is pretty much my concern. I have a little valvetrain noise when it's really cold out, and I guess I feel bad about shutting down the engine while it's still clattering first thing in the morning.

But maybe it's six of one, half a dozen of the other. My engine can warm up in neutral while I roll to a stop sign, or it can warm up while doing something useful a little while down the road.

Oil will have worked its way through the engine by the time I'm going 5mph in the driveway and ready to hit the kill switch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Spotter View Post
I eoc more when it is cold as that is where the most benefit is. My warm up takes longer but I use synthetic oil and should be fine.
You got it. The shorter your warm-up is, the faster you're spending energy on things other than propulsion. It takes me about four miles before I can turn the heater to "H", and another mile before the temperature recovers so that I can turn the fan on. Defogging windows just doesn't happen. But if you park in the garage with a window open, fogging doesn't happen.