View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 07:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
On my 1937 Ford it had a starter button separate from the ignition switch. Even after sitting for a week or more, you could just run the starter for 5 seconds with no ignition and see 60 pounds of oil pressure with a cranking speed of 100 RPM or less (original 6 volt direct drive starter-about 1/3 the cranking speed of a modern engine).

Modern engines with oil filters with check valves produce oil pressure within a second of cranking, and if you are not seeing the light come on you still have some pressure.

Modern oils, in particular those that are designed for the start stop sequences of hybrids will not cause you problems with EOC cold, anymore than they would hot. Most of the noise you hear cold is the pistons in the Insight and it was the same on my VX. Once the pistons heat up and expand the noise goes away.

My grandfather once drove his 39 Ford police car 40 miles after an oil change when they forgot to put any oil in the engine. It finally locked up.

You are not restarting the engine and racing it or driving aggressively, so I doubt you will ever see any problem. I always start and go. No reason to use fuel because you have plenty of oil pressure cold, in fact it is probably twice the oil pressure as warm on may engines.

I think it is a non issue, and in 750,000 miles and 44 years I have never seen any situation where I could blame any damage on what you wish to do.

It will prolong your warm up time, but if you are getting better mileage overall, and can handle the wait for heat then go for it.

regards
Mech