View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #65 (permalink)
nmgolfer
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
When I read about the headlight shape/mirror aeromodding, I was encouraged that they were focused on the details.

Then I read Nissan's own aero specs for the car and was seriously underwhelmed:

(source)

Cd 0.29 is remarkably unremarkable, considering its "head start": the vehicle has minimal cooling requirements (compared to an internal combustion car) and no exhaust system to interfere with a theoretically smooth undertray. (I don't actually know how well designed the Leaf's underbits are.)
.29 is not bad. Toyota Yaris is .29. I also have to wonder if these are apples to apples comparisons. Is the CD of ICE powered vehicles measured with sinking drag incuded? I kind of doubt it... probably just a wind tunnel result. Where is the standardize CD test protocol?

Form follows function

Nissan designers probably asked themselves: what impact would dropping the CD to say .25 from .29 have on vehicle performance the way the average driver will be using it? Range from 100 to 110 miles? Is it "worth it"? Probably not. I suspect most Leaf drivers will be using it for stop and go city driving or commuting to their job 10 miles away where aero losses are minimal anyway.

Don't get me wrong... I love the EV-1 .19 CD and minimal frontal area but lets face it the four seater Leaf with a real trunk and sized to carry "typical" LOL Americans is a far more practical vehicle. And few if any owners ever intend to strap on an aero tail cone.

Last edited by nmgolfer; 11-03-2010 at 01:27 PM..