View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
kgwedi
EcoModding Lurker

Atos - '05 Hyundai Atos Prime AT
90 day: 21.33 mpg (US)
I (politely) :-) don't agree with some of your comments jamesqf.
Yes the time the power is applied on a projectile will determine the final energy, that is why I said "initial power", not powder.
The same amount of "power" provided in a gun (or car) "should" give the same muzzle energy (not velocity) regardless of the mass of the bullet. The lighter bullet will be going faster at muzzle exit, but will slow down faster because of the drag to mass ratio (sectional density). I wonder whether a car will glide farther with the same amount of power (gas used) applied to accelerate the car. The velocity will be less in a heavier car, so the energy/mass ratio should be the same.

With the glider in a thermal, the amount of energy taken from the thermal to raise the glider is the same regardless of the mass of the glider, there will just be a difference in altitude gained. The overall increase in potential energy will be the same regardless of mass.

Thanks to everyone for some very good explanations. I think driving style and terrain will determine whether there is any noticeable gain in FE with the addition of extra mass.
I am still carrying extra weight to improve my FE. :-)