View Single Post
Old 11-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #24 (permalink)
skyl4rk
Coasting Down the Peak

Toyauto Pickup - '94 Toyota Pickup 2WD
90 day: 36.32 mpg (US)

Versa Base - '09 Versa Sedan 1.6 Base
Team Nissan
90 day: 41.69 mpg (US)
Former Rheinlander here

Don't mess with the TÜV you won't win. You might be able to find aftermarket spoilers and wheel covers. German sold after market items are supposedly approved and would be OK to install permanently. You could probably get away with a removable grill block, if anyone complains, remove it. My brother likes to order aftermarket stuff from the US (tuning type crap) and he has gotten away with it, but it has to look factory made. The problem in Germany is that everyone looks at you and if they see something they might report it or at least ***** about it to you. Germans are very picky people.

However, you can try to improve your driving skills to save fuel. There are very big gains available from coasting, as big as any single mod. The problem is that most German drivers are anti-hypermilers. Vollgas - vollbrems - repeat. There is a lot of traffic and drivers are very impatient if you go slow.

It is worth it to try to learn to drive to save gas. Most techniques will be legal in Germany, although engine off coasting probably is not legal. Its not legal in many places but we do it anyway. Welcome to the board!