View Single Post
Old 11-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
However, we SHOULD think about where our goods (especially electronics) come from and how they are made. We need to get much better about recycling them and also reduce our consumption. Unfortunately, our capitalist/consumer culture makes that difficult.

Magnets in hard drives are fun. Very compact and powerful. Just don't pinch your fingers with them.
Perhaps IBMs idea to make their 1981 5150 IBM PC electronics with a 25yr mean time between failures should be an indication of how long these systems SHOULD be used. Heck I have one still working and I did make it play a trixter full screen full motion video with sound, I can scan documents and I can even get on the internet in full text. Too bad more focus on using what you have and making do went out the window.

Perhaps designing systems to fail every year or every other is a burden our country can't bear with lots of hidden costs and the older built to last ideas where more founded?

I digress but you can see where I stand, I am typing this from a 15yr old computer on high speed DSL at the moment and yes it does work just fine