View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 08:42 PM   #220 (permalink)
Zerohour
Master EcoModder

Pooparu - '01 Subaru Outback Limited
90 day: 28.12 mpg (US)

Cop Car - '94 Chevy Caprice Interceptor 9C1
Last 3: 18.48 mpg (US)

Mini - '11 Mini Cooper
90 day: 37.63 mpg (US)

Gramps - '95 Subaru Legacy Postal
90 day: 23.18 mpg (US)
Due to lack of motivation and it being too cold to piss outside, I've gotten lazy. :-(

But I would like to note the following:

Achieved 28.84mpg on a trip to DC for the Stewart/Colbert rally. The trip down we drove like a nutter. 70-80mph going through traffic and passing on hills...I was playing follow the leader with a car full (4 people + light luggage). Ride back was moderately safer maintaining a 65-75mph speed. Temp ranged from 28F to 50F during the trip. Gasoline was E10...non-ethanol has gone dry except for one 93 octance source.

I'm fairly happy with the results considering! Back in June when it was 55-60 in the morning and 75-80 during the day I was getting 24.5ish mpg. Now I'm managing 25.5ish in the moderate beginnings of the cold. Last year at this time I was in the 22-23 range. Overall I'm not sure what effects I'm having due to school buses littering the commute route vs. mileage last year going mainly highway at off peak times. I would like to imagine the aero mods are doing more than 1-2mpg, but alot may/may not account for my driving.

I keep catching myself driving faster again opposed to the old man rollin' I was doing in August/September. I can't tell whether its better for the subaru to go 35-45 at 1.4k-2k revs with 8psi of vacuum or if its better to try to keep up the speed and do 50-55 at 2k-2.3k with 10-12psi vacuum. And as Brucey has mentioned doing 55-60 keeps the TC locked up and you get better mpg's. But traffic/weather is so inconsistent I can't make any definite conclusions!

Thus I popped an eco-cherry and ordered an Ultra Gauge tonight. :-)

I am also trying to review dates of when mods were installed versus the decrease in consumption. Overall I have had a net gain, but its hard to tell what may have helped versus what may not have helped.

So here is the up to date list:
Aero:
*Lower grill block
*Front wheel side deflectors
*Lower bumper air deflectors
*Wheel skirts
Engine:
* Warm/Cold Air intake (modified filter setup)
* Modified Exhaust
Suspension
* 38 PSI on Yokohama Envigor All-Seasons
* 22mm rear sway bar (can coast/maintain higher speeds through corners)
Fluids:
*Synthetic blend Oil
*Synthetic blend Differential fluid (front and rear)
*Full Synthetic Trans fluid
*Full Synthetic Power Steering fluid (Subi uses ATF)
Instruments:
*Vacuum/Boost Gauge with LED Lighting (saves 2.7 watts!)
*Ultra Gauge (now on order)