View Single Post
Old 11-07-2010, 01:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
nimblemotors
EcoModding Jack

MG Midget + Geo Metro 3cyl = MGeo

Hello, let me introduce my MPG project, a '71 MG Midget, getting a Geo Metro 3-cyl engine (Suzuki G10).

The MG folks like a restoration, the Suzuki engine guys want more power,
so I've come here to show my project.

I'm trying to achieve a pretty high MPG with this little car.
I stripped out a Metro quite a while back for its trans and suspension for another EV project, and have had this engine collecting dust for a while.
Thought I might just use it for a backup generator, or maybe an air compressor, but I acquired a '71 MG Midget unfinished project at a great price and have decided to put the G10 motor in it, and build it for super high MPG. The Midget is a very small and light car, stock it is only 1500lbs.
The G10 engine is about 100lbs lighter than the iron 4-cyl that was stock.
And its has some pretty heavy sheet metal, so I think I can get its weight down to maybe 1200lbs.

I just got the engine running on a stand, going through all the wiring to strip out just what is needed to run the engine.

I'm trying to figure out how much time I should spend modifying the engine before I put it in the car. Been thinking I should just throw it in and get it running, but I really want to modify the G10 motor to make it lighter and get better MPG.

I want to replace the TBI fuel injection with my own system, convert it to port injection and distributerless ignition (coil on plug). Raise the compression significantly, and use water injection. Then tune it to maximize efficiency at around 2,000 rpm for 65mph cruising.

Make it hybrid -- removing the starter and alternator, and add a more powerful electric motor that will spin it as an assist, with a small
battery pack that can recharged from a socket (Plugin Hybrid).

Any comments or suggestions?

Jack Murray
Nimble Motorsports

Last edited by nimblemotors; 11-09-2010 at 10:59 PM.. Reason: added car picture