View Single Post
Old 11-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #73 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
euromodder -

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
So they went 299 miles, with the battery going out at 36.3 (less than the claimed 40 miles) but they went on to do 262.7 miles on 2.359 gallons .

It'd mean that they either got 111 mpg over these 263 miles, or they recharged the battery but the article doesn't mention it.
Based on the published results of earlier test drives, I'd have a very hard time believing a 111 mpg claim from a Volt in gas-mode.

As it turns out, the 299 miles were made over multiple days with recharging inbetween.
Motor Trend Claims Volt Gets 127 MPG, Not Quite True – Gas 2.0

Mileage on gas : 35.9 mpg.
Calcars makes basically the same claim as the article :

California Cars Initiative for Plug-In Hybrids

Quote:
CalCars is a non-profit startup of entrepreneurs, engineers, environmentalists and consumers. Since 2002, we've promoted plug-in hybrids (PHEVs) with large batteries. Local miles are powered partly or fully by electricity from standard plugs, and liquid fuel provides infinite range. PHEVs tackle energy security, jobs and global warming -- all at once.
We built the world's first plug-in Prius using today's technologies and infrastructure. We helped spark a successful campaign to bring PHEVs to market and gain incentives. In 2009, we declared victory as mass production of PHEVs starts with the Chevy Volt.
They promote the "plug-in Prius" kits, which I like to think of as a predecessor to the plug-in Volt. The kits cost $8K to $10K, which makes the total cost similar to the Volt. Here are a few of the kits :

Hymotion - $10.5K
Plug-In Home - $13.5K
Plug-In Supply - $9K to $12K

In fact, I was expecting Toyota to adopt the plug-in option as a way to maintain their crowing rights in the eco-car realm.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society