View Single Post
Old 04-18-2008, 12:42 AM   #119 (permalink)
Coyote X
nut

Metro XFi - '93 Geo Metro XFi Convertible
90 day: 62.17 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '07 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 55.26 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to Coyote X
I finally rounded up someone to help me bleed the brakes today. So the car can steer and stop now So this project is mostly winding down now and it is just a matter of bolting parts on that will fit without major fabrication. The fun part is over and now the tedious part begins.

But a long term thing I was thinking of was to fit a front suspension on the back so I could get some cv joints connected to the back wheels and hook a pair of electric motors up for a combination electric/gas driven car. But, I was lurking around teamswift and found a pic of a 4wd swift conversion. Apparently the euro 95+ Justy is just a 4wd suzuki swift. The rear suspension and hubs are a bolt on to the rear suspension on a metro but the diff would not fit with the metro rear floor. and gas tank Not a problem for my car anymore So now I need to find a junkyard in europe that is willing to ship parts a long way away.

I am now thinking finding the rear hubs, brakes, and cv joints out of a awd justy. Shorten the shafts enough to give me room to work with between them. I can use a set of wheel bearings on the inner side of the cv joint to mount the inner axle stub. Then I can put a sprocket on each side and run to something like a pair of motors 10-20hp or so. I could run a bank of optima batteries to it. I could also put a modified alternator on the 3 cyl that puts out 48v or whatever to charge the battery bank when needed. With the airflow through the car I would have plenty of cooling air for the electric motors. And with the frame as it is built now adding the drive stuff to the rear would be a weekend job really.

All of this is just wild ideas I have floating around in my head and I have no idea if it would work or even how I would actually control it, but in theory it seems like it could work.