View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #76 (permalink)
MN Driver
2000 Honda Insight

Considering that at least half(making a guess here, I actually figure quite a bit more) of the forum members here reading this may just be hypermilers, you might want to read this article.
http://gm-volt.com/2010/10/17/chevro...miles-average/

22 drivers of 23 getting better than 40 miles on a charge in a mileage competition.
The best finishing a 45.8 mile course with 12 miles indicated remaining miles. Not sure how it calculates things, if it figures a '40 mile range indefinitely' sort of calculation it could possibly be way more than the guess of 57.8 miles left.

This throws the 25-50 mile range out of the water in quite a few ways. I'm interested in how it would perform in the hands of a true electric hypermiler. Considering that the gas engine needs a good 75% load before it enters a decent efficient range, I'm curious what sort of driving brings about efficiency with an electric drivetrain of any sort (Leaf, Volt, Warp 9 garage conversion etc.).

I'm interested to see what the folks on the Volt forums say once they get their cars.
Granted I'm more or less stirring the pot but I think only the most careless driver will likely get 35 miles or less.

For those focused on fuel consumption after the initial electric range, this car isn't for you. To be frank, This car isn't for me. I buy cars in the four digit range on price and for the past two cars they have been in the bottom half of that four digit range.

There have also been some recent articles too about GM trying to make next years 2012 Volt qualify as a EAT-PZEV which would require a 10 year/150,000 mile warranty. If they actually release this warranty and these cars last I might be in the market for a 10 model year old Volt like I was with my current 2000 model year Insight that I stragically bought at the beginning of this year for its $10 sales tax in the state of Minnesota. We shall see how things pan out.

To be frank again, yes I agree it's overpriced, possibly they will come to their senses, maybe not but in the hands of the used car buyer, this, possibly along with the Leaf and many other electric cars might just be the ticket. Time will tell. In the end I'll be looking for the car that can fit my needs for the least price in 10 years, likely alongside my current Insight if it lasts or whatever Insight I replace it with. Who knows if it will be a Volt, Leaf, iMiEV, Wheego Whip Life, Focus electric. ...at this point I don't care but you bet I'll be all over the forums. It could likely be the first where the owners hack the car and find a suitable replacement pack option or cheapest OEM replacement too for the long haul. ...again with the time will tell thing. For now I'll chomp popcorn and watch this all unveil. The Leaf has already sold its full 20,000 quota for the 2011 Nissan Leaf. Probably helpful for the Volt market, hopefully Nissan can boost production to match because we need more electric on the road.