View Single Post
Old 11-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #90 (permalink)
NHRABill
EcoModding Apprentice

Tahoe - '95 Chevrolet Tahoe LT
90 day: 13.22 mpg (US)

SRX - '04 Cadillac SRX AWD

XL - '05 Harley Davidson Sportster XL
90 day: 49.97 mpg (US)

Alero - '02 Oldsmobile Alero GLS

Corvette - '75 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
What makes you think a 4-seater Volt will replace a SUV ?

It might happen if more Americans come to their senses regarding their cars, but that won't happen because of the Volt.
The automotive culture in The United States is Unique, all depending on the demographic in which you live. I know it is difficult for many Europeans to understand why Americans choose to drive 6.0 litre 400hp 6,500 lbs. 4wd trucks that get 15mpg to drop off their 5 year old at soccer practice, but for almost a decade it was a status symbol for many.

In traveling from state to state I notice many areas did not follow the same trends and what I am speaking of is a generalization. When you look at the last decades manufacturing numbers anyone that can add will see that a 3 person family preferred a Large SUV over a better suited economy car that cost 1/3 the price and managed double the MPG.

I live in the Northeast a suburb of NYC and here its all about what you drive everyone has to outdo the other keeping up with the Jonses is alive and well here and it sucks for guys like me who think with their brain instead of their Ego. Not saying that if a person chooses to drive a large truck is in the wrong I am just stating that if you were stuck in Bumper to bumper traffic would you want to be in a Smart car on your 2 way adjustable seats or in a Chevy Suburban wrapped in soft leather that both heats and cools your backside while the triple layer of sound deadener mellows out the raging 352 horsepower and 382lbs of torque? I know what I would choose... Fuel here is still relatively inexpensive in comparison to Europe.
1975 Corvette Stingray *active*
1994 Camaro Z28 Convertible 149k *Sold 2013*
1998 Blazer ZR2 189k *Sold 2012*
1995 Tahoe LT 250k *Sold 2011*