View Single Post
Old 11-13-2010, 11:07 AM   #292 (permalink)
MN Driver
2000 Honda Insight

Nice to see the increase in fuel economy, is that number the percentage additional MPG. I suppose I would have taken the amount of fuel and said I used 9x% or 8x% to go the same distance. Either way, excellent to see the results!

- Insight has limitation of display updating every 0.6 miles or so
No it doesn't. Press the FCD button twice, it will update every time, if I reset it and accelerate and coast it will update every second if I keep pressing the button. A CleanMPG'er drove my car to compare the fuel numbers on a well-known very easy to duplicate route and I thought my button was going to be worn out with how many times it was stabbed. I'm not complaining though.

What are you running for tire pressure, I think boosting that up is the next step if you don't already have it up there. Huge differences can be had with tire pressure.

"Wow 91.43 MPG at 56 MPH that is Wow"
This is pretty sweet for sure. I've gone 630.5 miles and got 70.2mpg on the FCD or 630.5/8.592 gallons =73.4MPG calculated going as fast as I could go in lean-burn. The car can hang out in lean-burn up to 78mph if you can control the throttle and watch LOD values and find the TPS limits for those RPMs. I've run most of that tank between 70-75mph and it sagged to 65mph sometimes with mostly flat inclines and more speed sag with hills. I'm curious what the tail would have brought it to in my same scenario. The key IMO is tire pressure if a non-modified car can't hold 75mph in lean-burn on flat smooth roads with no wind.

55mph is a very tough place to hold speed in lean-burn a little faster and the engine actually has more power and seems to be quite a bit more efficient at climbing hills when around the 60-65mph area. I've found 4th gear makes driving easier and better MPG going 50-55(if even up to 60)mph. It seems the engine is gutless at 2000RPM. I could hold 65-70mph easier than I can hold 55mph.

Awesome stuff, keep us posted!