View Single Post
Old 11-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Aluminum Brake Drums on Civic VX

The other day I was looking for a set of 14" wheels from a Honda Insight to go on my brothers civic for his summer tires and we found a salvage yard in Wisconsin Dells WI that had just gotten a 2002 Honda Insight in that had been hit dead center in the front (car-part.com), well for $50 each plus $10 each for shipping we ordered up the wheel and for an extra $40 they tossed in the rear brake drums for my self, figured it was worth the risk to find out once and for all if those brake drums would fit a civic and they do! they are an exact fit on my civic vx with a weight savings of just over 1.5 pounds each, the stock cast iron civic vx rear drums weigh 6.25 pounds and the stock first generation (2000-2007) Honda insight brake drums weigh 4.75 pounds, they had almost no wear so they should last a long time.
I realize it's not a great weight savings but 3 pounds of unsprung weight is a start, I have hopes to find a set of insight wheels for my own car before I need to buy summer tires again and that will again save me a few more pounds and give better streamlining.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
SVOboy (11-14-2010)