View Single Post
Old 11-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #157 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson
Back on topic - does anyone have info on the VOLT crash-testing?
Sadly all I've ever found are videos and sites talking about it being safe, not actual data. Nada says its too new and the data is not yet available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoteach View Post
Those of you that are still complaining about the "safety" weight of new cars can continue to drive your ultralite cars. There is a lot of material that goes into new cars to make them survive these crashes, and you can be pissed at the nhtsa right up to the point you are kissing your loved ones and thanking the big guy that they survived a horrible crash. the cruze isnt getting lighter, face it.
My Grandmother died 2 months later from micro blood clots after her leg was badly bruised by the airbag in a 25mph crash. The crash wasn't all that bad, she walked away from it with no broken bones but she had to go back to the hospital over a month later after being there all of 2 days directly after the crash. That car is still on the road, just needed airbags reset and a door and fender.

Surviving the crash does not mean you survive longterm. I have looked for data on this regard for a long time but it seems if you survive more than a day or two after a crash your death from related injuries doesn't count in the number. (especially if you have to go back to the hospital after leaving)
I also have had trouble finding much talking about deaths from safety equipment, just horror stories about it, nothing concrete.

We need to remember the only way to make cars foolproof would be to take them off the road and not drive. They will always be a risk, safety is certainly not a bad thing but it is rarely implimented perfectly and people should have freedom of choice, if they believe they want a certain subset of vehicle features fine, if they want another subset they should be able to have them as well.
There comes a point of diminishing returns to everything, I think we are well into that territory.

Last edited by rmay635703; 11-14-2010 at 01:29 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (11-14-2010)