View Single Post
Old 11-14-2010, 02:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
vpoppv
The $500 Electric Car

One of the reasons I'm hesitant to bug my college about a charging station is that they would probably install one of these, which would be useless to me; but then I'd never have the range to get there anyway. I did discover a few places near campus that had outlets right there at the parking spot which would be perfect. Anyway, I think that as far as charging stations go, I'm torn about these. I hate the idea that it has to be so expensive, and I think they are sort of pointless given how little everyone drives in a typical day anyway. Also, needing a special plug that costs about the same as my entire conversion annoys me. But I also see the flip side where these weren't designed for the handful of people across the country doing conversions, but rather are built for the OEM's. And when it comes to acceptance, the last thing we need is some dolt plugging in his Leaf and driving off while dragging a charging station behind him! In just the last couple days one of the guys in my local EV group wrote about driving off with the charger still plugged in, so the data transmission aspect, as much as I hate the idea, is probably necessary.