View Single Post
Old 11-14-2010, 11:23 PM   #91 (permalink)
max_frontal_area
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braebyrn View Post
So for the gap between the truck and trailer I am thinking of making some kind of a foam filled structure. Simular to what is on loading docks that the semi's back up into. That way when you turn it collapses when pinched and expands back to normal. Maybe fastened with velcro?

The newest boat tail made it 4500+ miles without any incidents. I even met a person that patented an inflatable boat tail. He said he followed me for a good long while and said he was surprised it didn't move at all. Glad to hear it since I can't see it.

I'll see about tuft testing it this week.
I have learned that zip ties are not to be relied on, no matter how many you use or how strong they appear to be, the proper resonant frequency will undo them like a whodini. we seem to trust in hoseclamps a lot too - mistake.
as to velcro, watched a buddy almost get decrapitated by a body come loose on a racer which was conincidentally billed as "uncrashable".
go for some permanent mechanical lock. dig your foam idea just make sure it is closed cell, open cell even if is sealed or coverd moisture will penetrate
and it will get heavy/degrade. also make sure it is UV stabilized ot the sun will
eat it...
hows is the drive, what are the mpgs like with no nosecone?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to max_frontal_area For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-17-2010), Braebyrn (11-15-2010)