View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 03:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
endurance
Master EcoModder

RSX2fast4mpg - '02 Acura RSX Type S
90 day: 38.22 mpg (US)

bubbatrucker - '98 Chevrolet K1500
90 day: 18.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
Slowing down accounted for about 80% of my mpg gains. Coasting more accounts for most of the rest. I'm completely unimpressed with people who say they want to improve their mpg, but won't slow down. Anyone can beat EPA figures just by setting cruise control to 65 mpg or the posted speed limit, whichever is lower. Those of us who beat the EPA by 50% or more are guaranteed to be driving below the PSL.
Interesting. I believe it, but that isn't where I've made my gains thus far. Most of my gains are from coasting and some reduction in climbing speed (along with change in technique/gearing on climbs). It's good to know there's even more room for improvement if I can just get my head around dropping below the PSL. It's a battle I haven't given up on yet. My average highway speed has dropped by 10mph already, just not to/below the PSL yet.

Just dropping my climbing speed by 5-7mph made a tremendous difference, probably over 5mpg on the slow part of my climb home. Most days I'm good, but then I get that sportscar in my rear view mirror and I can't control my right foot. I'm trying, I just have 25 years of bad habits to break.