View Single Post
Old 04-18-2008, 03:59 PM   #45 (permalink)
AmpEater
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dremd View Post
HOW DID I MISS THIS???

SWEET

If you want to build a Propane tank it isn't all that hard 2 do, getting it certified isn't that bad either. If you are still interested (doesn't sound like you are) let me know and I'll find the info that the Propane guys were pushing at SEMA in 2007. They were billing it as a performance fuel (105?? Octane) CNG is beyond me.

Where is the Yanmar genset going to be mounted?
Its going to be mounted in the rear hatch, where the fuel tank/spare tire/rear cargo area was. Looks like the hybrid is going to consume most of the space in the car. I'm not too sure about the safety aspect of propane, sources of ignition are just too easy to find on an electric car. My contactors aren't sealed, nor is the motor, or the starter for the generator. Even if I can seal the propane outside the cabin, I still have the issue that it pools in low areas (I park in a garage) and I wouldn't be able to seal the engine bay sufficiently that a spark generated inside the motor wouldn't be able to ignite things. It seems like hydrogen generated on demand might be the way to go, it is possible to create safety interlocks such that there could never be enough hydrogen to cause a serious explosion.

But I'm getting way ahead of myself anyhow, the electric car part of the project needs much more work before I can expand on it, but mainly little stuff at this point. Perhaps a few weeks before the generator is in the car.