Thread: My Death Trap
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
autoteach
Master EcoModder

Bus - '94 Ford School Bus huge

Stupid - '01 Chevy Blazer LS
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)

hawk - '00 Honda Superhawk
Just so you know, NHTSA's ratings of a vehicle are only good for the year in which they were tested, as it is a standardized test that is rated against the group norms. This means that if you were to test a merc. topaz today, it would probably be much lower in score due to that fact. This is the same reason why the number one car one year can be the 4th the next year.

As for statistics, it is foolish to think that if you odds are one in a million for a lightening strike that you can just run around in a thunderstorm for 999,999 days and then just stay inside from that point forward. Obviously I offended you by picking on your topaz in another thread, and for that I am not sorry. You obviously took what I said the wrong way. A complaint was made about the weight of the cruze and how "stupid" safety standards had engorged the vehicles of today. The cars of today are much safer for that exact reasoning. I think you should be asking some different questions if you are worried about vehicle weight. Sound deadening/insulation, electronics, heated seats, etc do weigh down a vehicle, and I would guess if you looked at those items that would be valuable weight lost for someone like yourself. I just wouldnt be in a hurry to tear out the airbags, door beams, and bumper supports to meet some weight goal.