View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 12:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Thumbs down If you don't get it all from the States, go beg the Feds

Quote:
Dear Frank,

Yesterday, I testified on MADD’s behalf in the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee. We focused on two main things: the need for states to require interlocks for all drunk driving offenders and the future of advanced technology that will eliminate drunk driving. If you’d like, you can watch the video (I'm at the 47:20 mark) or read my written testimony here.

I have some good news. This week, Senator Mark Begich of Alaska signed on to co-sponsor the legislation that would get all states to require interlocks for all drunk driving offenders and three senators (Sen. Begich, Sen. Amy Klobucher of Minnesota, and Senator Barbara Boxer of California) signed on to support advanced technology development. Your emails are helping convince Congress that it is time to stop people from committing drunk driving offenses. If you think they need reminding, you can email them about the interlock bill here.

I also have some bad news. In the state of Maryland, a bill requiring interlocks for all drunk driving offenders passed the Senate unanimously. That’s right, not one single no vote. Unfortunately, when it got to their House, the committee chair, who is a drunk driving defense attorney, refused to let the bill to be voted on unless he watered it down. Here’s one take on the bill and its demise.

This is unfortunately common in state legislatures. We’ve found 12 states that have been willing to pass interlock legislation despite these barriers, but the rest are going to be a lot harder. That’s why we need this federal legislation – to strongly encourage state legislatures to do the right thing and to get past barriers like this committee chair. Together, we can demand the elimination of drunk driving. Can you email your legislators today?

Thanks for your help,
Laura Dean-Mooney
MADD National President