Thread: My Death Trap
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 03:11 PM   #43 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
On the Island of Marathon in the Florida Keys there is a section of US1 where both my parents and myself were nearly killed by two different drunk drivers.

They were driving a 1977 Accord and I was driving a 1973 Alfa Romeo GTV. We were both headed towards the mainland and the two drunks were headed towards Key West.

In both cases the drunk swerved into our lane at 50 MPH per vehicle, 100 MPH impact. The drunks were in Cadillacs and we were both in cars that weighed less than 2100 pounds.

My mother was driving the Accord and she swerved off the road and missed the drunk. I was driving the Alfa and it was raining heavily and after sunset. I had to swerve across the oncoming lane of traffic into a parking lot to avoid the collision.

Pop told me that if they had been driving their other car, a 1973 Mercury Montego, they would never have missed the Cadillac.

2 separate instances of certain death involving 3 of my immediate family members including myself.

That was 28 years ago. Pop turns 90 the 8th of May, Mom turns 85 the 3rd August, and I turn 60 on Monday.

Statistics that never were because of situational awareness and very light maneuverable cars.

regards
Mech