View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
DJBecker
EcoModding Apprentice

Just an add-on: I'm thinking about ordering Paul's control board, so I may be trying out a Bosch TPS on it.

That would also let me contribute code and suggestions with a hope of having them be directly useful.

I have lots of experience in writing device code from specs. I once even wrote a network device driver for hardware that was halfway around the world and got it working in a single weekend. But it's way easier when you have the board right in front you.

As a semi-introduction, I've written a bunch of open source software. I've written many (60-70) device drivers, many of those for Linux, as well as many other pieces of software.

Our motor controller is still design in the early stage. We are trying to keep the "smart-side" requirements as generic as possible so that we can eventually put it in the display unit.

The mid board sits with the power board. It contains the isolation interface, which takes three mutually isolated PWM channels and an I2C bus from the smart side and uses it to talk to the gate drivers and an I2C ADC for measuring the traction and gate voltages.

Our test "mule" is a Advance MTC4001RM coupled to a Miata transmission. (Our target car is a classic Miata, not yet purchased.) The coupler is a standard SH taper bushing and the spring hub of a Miata clutch plate (a stock clutch with the friction disk removed) joined with an aluminum piece I turned on a Very Big lathe during a Very Fun machine shop day. I also turned a smaller hub that might work with a flywheel if clutch-less operation doesn't work out.

There is no load hooked up to the mule, only the transmission. We were originally planning to use a 10KW generator head on the transmission output, but the generator purchase fell through. We bought a used PennTex Industries PX-4-G5 alternator (200 amps continuous at 6000 RPM) that uses external regulation, but building the mount and figuring out a regulator circuit (plan: 42V output to simultaneously charge the three lead-acid batteries that power the mule) is a future project.