Thread: Spark plugs?
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Angelus359
EcoModding Apprentice

Aveo - '08 Chevolet Aveo LS
Spark plugs?

I've seen a lot of claims go both ways, where some people say platinum is totally fine, while other people say coppers are the best, while other people say go iridium.

I was wondering if anyone has any hard test data between fresh sets of sparkplugs to see if they actually make any real difference.

I have an aveo, and everyone on the aveo forum says absolutely positively do not run platinum plugs in that car, since it doesn't have enough current for cold weather startup and will have misfires with their specific engine design.
It comes copper from the factory (ngk)

They all recommended either ngk iridium IX, or denso iridium (ultrafine), or to just stick with coppers.

People were saying the ultra fine iridiums were better for cold weather startup due to lower voltage requirement, and the coppers were better once the thing was warmed up due to higher conductivity... I'm no electrician, so I don't really know.

Nobody seems to have actual test results and its all theoretical.

I'll admit the car did startup and run better with the new plugs (new plug syndrome of course), but seeing stats would be nice.