Thread: Spark plugs?
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
saand
Wiki Writer

bugler - '91 Mazda 626
90 day: 35.89 mpg (US)
i dont know the finer details about spark plugs but if you look at it from a physics point of view it would suggest the spark plugs make little or no difference.

The spark plugs only need to make a spark to ignite the fuel vapor.
The copper plugs that came stock with the car were chosen by the designers and they hopefully tested that they reliably ignited the fuel in the cylinders. If your car is misfiring then you may want to look at spark plugs (which may just mean modifying the gap) otherwise you are likely to get little fuel efficiency benefit or performance benefit.

Having said that a way i can see different spark plugs having advantages over others is from the different geometries of spark plug. The standard plugs that have a single electrode and return has the return covering the spark from where the majority of vapors are. The standard plugs may be very slightly less efficient than the multiple electrode type as the spark goes to the side therefore allowing the ignited fuel at the spark plug tip to propagate more easily to ignite the remaining fuel.
The claim by the manufacturers is that with different materials you will get a more concentrated spark (therefore maybe a hotter spark) and less eroding of materials so a more reliable spark and longer service life. considering a spark temperature is above 1000 degrees i am not sure how a hotter spark will help.

as i said before i don't know all that much about spark plugs so take this with a grain of salt.