View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 06:41 PM   #228 (permalink)
Zerohour
Master EcoModder

Pooparu - '01 Subaru Outback Limited
90 day: 28.12 mpg (US)

Cop Car - '94 Chevy Caprice Interceptor 9C1
Last 3: 18.48 mpg (US)

Mini - '11 Mini Cooper
90 day: 37.63 mpg (US)

Gramps - '95 Subaru Legacy Postal
90 day: 23.18 mpg (US)
It's not possible to use HID lights in the low beams of the subaru. The low beam is run on a low current for the day time running lights. This would absolutely screw with a ballast designed to use the 12v 55w for a normal bulb.

I can run the low beams at low current (35w) circuit doing such. Theres not much to get gain on the headlights unless they are completely gutted, re-housed, and re-wired into the car. And for the cost and time, led lights would be cheaper...

Subaru's FE vary from every model. An outback is not an outback is not an outback. Everyone one of them varies. The same years even have LSD's/no LSD's, some have different gear ratios, different engine displacement, different tire sizes, different brakes. and year to year have different emissions, different alternators, DOHC/SOHC. Its hard to compare.

I'm going to try to do some intake changes to see if I can reduce air flow into the intake at lower throttle positions. I can take my vacuum gauge to zero at less than 25% throttle. Its not so much fuel hungry as the engine is air greedy.