View Single Post
Old 11-20-2010, 09:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
dumont
Gdumont

2006 Altmia 2.5S automatic experiment

Hi everyone,

I learnt about hypermiling a few weeks ago and I find it fun and very addictive. And considering I spend 300$/month on gas I want to see if I can shave 50% off that bill. So this is what I will do in the next month.
A few facts to begin.
a)My commute to work is 31.07miles round trip.
b)it takes me approx. 20 minutes each way. 40 minutes round trip to commute every day. With NO hypermiling. For an average speed of 46.60mph.
c) commute has plenty of hills and a few straight aways. 5 stop lights. I generally miss most of them. Maybe hit 1 or 2 a trip. 20%city and 80%backroads.

So as the title states I am driving a 2006 automatic altima 2.5s with 112000miles. New spark Plugs, new Yokohama yk520 tire with a 33psi in all. Mobile 1 synthetic always used and all fluids are always changed on time. And I do live in Canada so the weather is becoming very cold.

So my experiment will consist of
a) MILEAGE avg of 2 tanks.driving regular speed. avg agresiveness. Not using any obvious hypermiling techniques. Speed always above 10mph. of speed limit (avg) MILEAGE avg of 2 tanks. Stop in traffic and never in neutral.
b) Mileage with 10 major hypermiling techniques 2 tank average. Neutral out of parking spots, 2200RPM maximum acceleration unless unsafe to do so.. 1900RPM when cruising..49.7mph in the altima. Max. Neutral going down hills (engine on), and when timing a red light. And when waiting at a red light engine off. Going up hills I will de-accalerate if car wants to change gears. Using cruise control of course and accelerating softly always.

So I want to see if there is a major benefit to hypermiling with an automatic car. I will then calculate the Avg MPG of both tests and relay it to fuel saving on a weekly/monthly/yearly avg. basis. Wish me luck. I started on my first tank already. I will post results in the next week or so. and once and for all... should I cost in neutral with engine off??? with an automatic. Or is this unsafe?

Last edited by dumont; 11-20-2010 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: small misstake