View Single Post
Old 11-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #104 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,226 Times in 4,653 Posts
looks like

Braebyrn,I don't yet have photos fit enough to post so I'll attempt to describe.
* very close to the tongue is a vertical receiver tube of 1-1/2'' square steel tubing with 3/4" lock-bolts.
* into the tube slides a section of 1-1/4" square tubing which 'pinches' the handlebar bracket of bicycle fork tube/fork assembly,which nests into a axle receiver at the base of the 1-1/4" tube.
* the fork assembly maintains the weather-tight ball-bearing sets and performs as the lolly shaft of a windmill,allowing slewing.
* onto the fork assembly mounts a welded steel C-Frame with triangulated bracing.The open part of the C faces down and straddles the trailers pull-bar.The C-frame pivots.
* onto the C-frame mount the 4 gap-filler panel frames with their body skins which are hinged like the canopy of a Lancair,with deep 'Cs' which allow flush fit of the panels plus 90-degrees freedom of movement.
* the upper panel frame rides a pivoting castor near upper center of the trailer face.
* the side frames contact the trailer face/sides with rollers( from inline skates
* the lower panel also rides on a pivoting castor
* all the panels are held 'closed' by cable/pulley/weights.( I considered using springs but they can break )
* an 'integration' panel replaces the tailgate,fills the gap to the C-frame,and has rollers which contact the C-frame face
* as the truck pivots the C-frame is forced to pivot which forces the affected panel frame against the trailer face,swinging 'away' to allow the turn articulation until the rig straightens at which time the weights/cables and pulleys pull the panel back 'in' to the stowed position.
* on my T-100 there is an additional boat-tail upper panel which completes the aeroshell which hinges from the aeroshell to allow upper 'compressions' to be relieved when negotiating driveways 'n such,spanning the upper void to the C-frame.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's a lot more simple than it sounds.I'll do color-coded photos as the project unfolds.
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (11-20-2010)