View Single Post
Old 11-20-2010, 10:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
BrianAbington
Master EcoModder

Civic - '98 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 41.44 mpg (US)
I have looked into this process my self, I found a mid 80's supra I was looking at bringing across the border.

What I read says that you should contact customs and the local DMV a week or so in advance to find about any issues for bringing it to the us.

When you go up to the dealership they give you the sales paper work and a temporary permit that allows you to drive it for a week so you can get it back to the US and get it titled and registered.

You show the sales paper work at customs.

You then show the sales paperwork at the DMV and they do what ever they do for inspections in your state.

As far as the vehicle safety and road wortyness most newer used cars will be ok. You just need to make sure that the spedo has a Reading for MPH and may need to switch it to us spec headlights if they can't be adjusted enough to not blind people while you are driving on the left side of the road.

The most important thing you can do is work it out ahead with your local DMV and make sure its not going to be a issue.

If you live in a border state it will be fairly easy...but further in from canada you will have to explain it to a dozen supervisors as to why you went to canada to buy a car.

If there are emissions issues a New cat could probably fix that problem for you.