Thread: Hello...
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 03:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kyleyadon
EcoModding Lurker

OCDobject - '74 buick Apollo
90 day: 12.18 mpg (US)

Black Tardis - '13 Kia Soul Base
90 day: 30.64 mpg (US)
Hello...

Hello, long story short, I don't have a car at the moment, but I'm getting a 1974 Buick Apollo 4 door this coming Friday. Why? Because I have to have a car so I don't loose my job, and at $500 it's the only car I can afford. Well, that is the main reason anyway, but I do love classic cars, and a rare muscle car to boot. But while I do want it to perform well, my main priority for it is going to be fuel economy. The car is currently all original, except the tires. It has a 4.1 liter, 250 cubic inch inline six cylinder engine, and a 4 speed automatic transmission. It is my understanding that by reducing engine restriction with a high flow intake and exhaust I can improve HP and FE. How much improvement might I be able to expect from this? And what would be the best way to go about achieving the best results? Also, after seeing some of the articles on here about the aerodynamic mods, particularly the article on what car and driver did to a '73 pinto, I'm thinking about creating a custom nose for the car that while following the original angles should reduce the drag of a mostly flat and vertical nose, and perhaps some aerodynamic skirts over the wheel wells to prevent the air getting sucked in there. What recommendations can you guys make for my project?