Thread: Hello...
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 01:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kyleyadon
EcoModding Lurker

OCDobject - '74 buick Apollo
90 day: 12.18 mpg (US)

Black Tardis - '13 Kia Soul Base
90 day: 30.64 mpg (US)
I agree with your suggestions. One of the first things I plan to do is rip out the smog pump, they dilute the emissions, not reduce them and are an unneeded drain on the motor. I plan to do most of the work myself and have been doing a lot of research into carburetors and feel confident to tune it myself, but I do agree with the value of getting advice from an experienced expert. From what the previous owner has told me about the car, I calculate that it's already getting around 20mpg, which is already slightly better than the EPA rating of 18mpg. My goal is to try a combination of engine and aero mods to see if i can get it up to around 30 or 35mpg.

This is a picture of the car in it's current state. It's obviously not aerodynamically ideal, but it could be worse. This model comes stock without side mirrors, they were optional in '74, so that's one step the right way already. Also this car already has the smaller engine offered in the Apollo. I do plan to do a radiator block and belly pan, as well as flat wheel covers and perhaps a shield for the wipers.