View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 03:23 PM   #42 (permalink)
DJBecker
EcoModding Apprentice

You aren't looking toward the future at all.

Most chargers will be "smart" and draw their power during the early morning hours. They won't "semi-smart" like chargers just on a timer -- they will likely be hooked to a smart meter and will ramp up and taper off as power is available.

There will probably be options to put in a specific partial charge if you need a daytime boost. "Make certain I have a charge for my 20 mile trip this evening, no matter what the cost, but wait until cheap night rates to fully." And "I have normal day tomorrow, so only charge to 85% to extend the battery cycle life."

But the real thing you are missing is that we will *have* to use smart chargers. The government needs over $0.04 per mile driven to replace the lost fuel tax revenue. The only 'fair' way to do this is to tax the electricity when charging. It could well be that your "automotive" off-peak electric rate is higher than your "household" peak electric rate because of the taxes.

That opens the question of how to tax people with EV panels and electric cars -- they might completely avoid paying a road use tax.