Thread: Hello...
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 04:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
saand
Wiki Writer

bugler - '91 Mazda 626
90 day: 35.89 mpg (US)
kyleyadon, sounds like a fun project you have ahead of you.
Just a suggestion which you probably wont like but ill say it anyway, you will find it far easier to get higher MPG with a 2 liter manual. So if you still have a choice on cars then i would recommend looking around, it might save you money and time later on, I hope you can find another cheap car that is a bit more suited to ecomodding.
From my car modding i am getting close to 35mpg now and i starting to run out of easy to medium difficulty mods and i have a 2.1 L auto

To answer your question, i agree with the above post, i suspect your not likely to see much gain out of high flow intake and exhaust at a guess maybe 2%. I would be very happy to be proved wrong here though i have not seen any proper test data on people trying this mod.
You will get a large gain out of an electric radiator fan rather than a belted one (if that is what you have) also power steering delete however not sure if your model would have that.
anyway there are plenty more ideas for mods, have a look at the wiki if your after any other random ideas. It has cost and time estimates of most mods.
The Following User Says Thank You to saand For This Useful Post:
Kyleyadon (11-22-2010)