View Single Post
Old 04-19-2008, 02:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
OfficeLinebacker
EcoModding Apprentice

Using the climate control fan to increase economy

Yeah, it sounds crazy, but here's my rationale:

The two areas of highest pressure on a car IRT aero are the top front edge of the hood and the cowl.

Well the cowl is where the intake for cabin air is.

If you're travelling at over 30mph and have the system on fresh air but off, you'll notice a breeze coming in. Go up in speed a bit, focus on the breeze, and crack the rear windows.

The air flow increases noticeably.

I don't know what kind of extra drag cracking a window induces, but I do know that several experimental airplanes have used air pumps to suck away the boundary layer on the wing, to great effect. The main drawback was blockage with debris.

Anyway, I have this cockamamie idea where I could somehow vent around the rear windscreen or, preferably, through the trunk, and run with the fresh air intake fan on at highway speeds?

This would have the double effect of removing air from a very high pressure area as well as helping to replace the air at the back of the car.

I plan on getting a ScanGauge soon to test instantaneous loads, but am wondering what you guys think. If any have an SG and would like to try, that would be awesome!