View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 11:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
todayican
Building the future! :-)

Excellent questions Toby!

Crash worthiness: I'm shooting for "Really safe motorcycle". It will be registered and insured as a motorcycle, I will get a "MSO" from one of the chopper builders on eBay (done it before).

It will have a roll bar directly over the forward riders head of rolled 1 1/4 round. and a 1x2" support over the rear riders head forming the rear bulkhead.

The frame rails extend up 16" from the floor so decent side impact protection, not "Volvo caliber" im guessing though.

The forward rider will be essencially surrounded by the front wheels so good side impact coming from the wheels and suspension itself.

The area im not in love with is the very front. The riders feet will extend about 8" past the front of the wheels. Its a consideration to balance. I will use 2x1" top and bottom there and fill the entire nose area with foam forward of the drivers feet ala tri magnum.

No inspection in FL (Im pretty sure, since its technically a motorcycle, inspections would be exempt, or strictly a function of emissions and "do the blinkers work" in other states should someone else want to build one?