View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
todayican
Building the future! :-)

One thing I was thinking was, during "drive mode" for the gen (If its a dc gen anyway) one could bypass the batts and controller alltogether, gaining whatever efficiency might be lost on the controller itself and just drive the traction motor with the gen and modulate the gens throttle to adjust speed.

Dont know what the greater of the evils are in this scenario, running through the batts and charging them with whatever isnt being used by the drive motor at any given time, and accepting the electrical efficiency losses of the controller etc, or modulating the throttle of the gen and potentially not having it in its peak efficiency curve (a BIG advantage with serials I beleive)

Something else to make it even more interesting...

Ill be using 60ah thundersky batteries and asking as much as 7.5c from them during full power acceleration (possibly too much, need to do more research)

What if, I limited it to 380a max from the battery pack alone and if I really need a lot of amps, (going up a big hill, etc) add the gen in for the full 450 so the batts would not have to put out more then 6.3c on their own?

So much new ground here... :-)