View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 10:18 PM   #204 (permalink)
Dr. Jerryrigger
EcoModding Apprentice

The Sh*t-Box - '99 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
90 day: 27.81 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucey View Post
That's what I did, just cleaned it. Easy little sucker to get at. Seems to be working fine. I put the car in diagnostic mode and felt it clicking away. It might also be a bad 02 sensor (150K and original) or my catalytic converter (Always had the P0420 code) but neither of those are a biggy since my state doesn't require emissions.
I envy your state. I've been trying to fix a p0420 this week, as I need to fix that big "R" sticker on my windshield by the end of the month. Autozone soled me the wrong o2 sensor this morning, and the old one might as well be welded to the exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTreeMech View Post
A bad O2 sensor can ruin your fuel economy by making the ECU act as though you are running too lean hence causing it to richen the mix. And a bad cat can increase backpressure and cause the engine to work too hard to breathe. I wouldn't dismiss either one.
But a bad O2 sensor could cause it to run lean, and a bad cat can have a big hole in it, which reduces back pressure. In fact if your state has no emission tests; you could improve your FE with a broom handle...